Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Module 2 Elements of Distance Education Diffusion

We have learned from the past that technology advances based upon human desires and acceptability.  Siemens (2008) discussed the importance of comfort and technology when looking at how distance education is and will evolve.  The more exposure that people have with social media and multi-media technology online the more likely that these tools will be recognized as acceptable communication technologies for distance education.  

I agree with Siemens that the way that we communicate is increasing the acceptance of distance education.  In our work place and leisure communication is now moving from land lines to computers and mobile devices.  As this unique, convenient and efficient way of communicating expands people will become comfortable with these new ways of communicating.  Individuals are realizing that with increased day to day demands these simplified and convenient ways of communication enable other task to be done without disruption.  As people commute more and are able to put in additional hours at work – they can also begin to understand that distance education will allow additional study time.  Work can be done at flexible hours and communication with individuals on other time zones can be better managed with virtual environments, i.e having a conference call with your pajamas on!

Online tools that are facilitating this type of technologies are Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube.com, Multi-media video sharing and blog sites, to name a few.  These type of tools allow communication with individuals around the world for work and leisure.  I see more technologies being developed that allow the convenience of virtual collaboration but a personal feel. 

References
Laureate Education, Inc. (2008). The Future of Distance Education. On Principles of Distance Education. Baltimore: Author.
Palloff, R. M., & Pratt, K. (2005). Collaborating online: Learning together in community. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post. As I was reading it, I was thinking about demographics. Could you comment on which age group you think will be the last to change their communications habits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,

    I am in my pajamas right now as I respond to your blog! :-) I agree, Distance Education allows for anytime communication, across time zones. As professional adults with busy schedules, Distance Education allows for advanced education without committing to class times. My sister is enrolled in an online course at a brick-and-mortar institution. Her class does require everyone meet online in a virtual environment twice a week for 2 hours. Although she gets to log in from home in her pajamas, she cannot communicate at any given time. Which method of communication do you prefer: Asynchronous or synchronous, and why? I see the benefit in both methods, but also the drawbacks.

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathi

    As I respond to your blog I am lying in bed snuggling with my daughter who has an awful case of croup. Without distance education, I would have had to get her dressed, take her to the sitter, and then make my way to a classroom to participate in this conversation, or just miss the class and suffer the consequences later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that communication helps distance education evolve. Just like everyone who have commented, I am in my bed with my head tied up doing homework and looking over assignments from nest week. I am also talking to people in different areas of the world and in different time zones. Communication helps us learn from each other and teach others.

    ReplyDelete