Thursday, September 16, 2010

Module 1 The Next Generation of Distance Education

The three part study conducted by Moller, Huett, Foshay and Coleman believe that there is a need to evolve distance education to the next generation. I support this view point and strong believe that if e-learning doesn’t continue to evolve the current momentum will be lost.  Dr. Simonson (2010) discuss that the distance learning is almost at the point of reaching the critical masses, where we will only need to nurture this innovation – each of these approaches will allow this. Thus the continuous development of e-learning environments and training is critical. 
Huett, Moller and Foshay (2008) discuss key areas of focus when improving the e-learning model, a few of these areas quality, ROI and support are key in any business model.  These areas not only affect student retention but also heavily impact the success of a student in being able to make a significant contribution to society.  As technology changes and develops, e-learning should follow suit.  Social networking and online collaboration are becoming more visible in businesses.  This collaboration model should be used for teaching purposes to equip student with this experience as well as allow them an opportunity to be able to enhance this experience. 
Dr. Simonson (2010) stated that there will always be classroom settings.  Although I believe this to be the case for some programs that require a great deal of in the classroom hands-on experience.  I believe that for other programs, especially research based programs – e-learning will become the main learning forum.  As technology and familiarity with technology increase I am not oppose to e-learning dominating the research education industry. 
References:
Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008a, May/June). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the Web (Part 1: Training and Development). TechTrends, 52(3), 70–75.
Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Huett, J. (2008b, July/August). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the Web (Part 2: Higher Education). TechTrends, 52(4), 66–70.
Huett, J., Moller, L., Foshay, W. & Coleman, C. (2008, September/October). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the Web (Part 3: K12). TechTrends, 52(5), 63–67.
Simonson, M. (2000). Making decisions: The use of electronic technology in online classes. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 84, 29–34.
Simonson, M.. (n.d) “Distance Education: The Next Generation” Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved September 11, 2010 http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?
Links to articles: (Need Walden Log-In To Access)

7 comments:

  1. Jamie Washington's response

    Kathi you mentioned social networking as being used more often in a business setting and that you think that it should be used more often in an educational setting. I however believe in the separation of business, education, and "social" life. I would never "friend" my professors on facebook or Twitter because I don't want to blur the lines between my professional life and my social life. I have seen too many instances of people being "fired" over facebook. Granted I do not put anything on facebook that I would not want my grandmother to see, so I know my boss could see it. But I also feel as though a line needs to be drawn and clearly defined between social life and business life. How do you think adding a social networking piece such as facebook could benefit education or the workplace?

    Here is a link to one of many articles of people fired over facebook.

    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/around-town/archive/Fired-Over-Facebook-Status.html

    Here is a link to one of many fired over twitter articles.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29796962/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,

    I recently completed a survey for automotive companies that are looking to incorporate Facebook and Twitter into their marketing campaigns. This is the aspect that I am referring to when I mention intermingling of social networking with business. I would not add a professor to my Facebook because I only add friends versus professional acquaintances. Regardless as to whether people add someone or give someone permission to view their page, everyone should be accountable for the information posted to a World Wide Web site. I think that is ridiculous that people feel that there is privacy for information shared on the web. I appreciate your comments and you sharing the articles. I live in Atlanta, and during the week there was a show regarding a principal or director with a 150K annual salary that was fired on his first day of work due to Facebook status post.
    http://middletonprinciplesdistanceeducation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathi,

    I understand where you are coming from thinking that many classroom classes may disappear. I am not sure I agree with you about this. I believe we have a large majority of people who are not self motivated to handle online classes. For this reason I believe there will always be a demand for face to face class. Those classes have their unique design that fits many people's learning style better than online classes.

    However, I am very glad that online classes are evolving to a high quality education source. I know the makers of online teacher professional development have a long way to go to make their environments measure up. Thanks for the insight.

    http://aimee-educ7102.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathie,

    I agree with you on the schools being necessary for some courses as you mentioned. I was reading that syndication of courses might be a possibility for school with low budgets or not a large request for that type of school.
    The future of education will be online, but online may also be a classroom of students on computers to different instructors in different locations.

    On the social networking, I agree with you. I would not add professor, or even some peers to facebook. That is for friends and family. I do however use Linkedin for professional associations.
    I would suggest that a student-instructor relationship is always a touchy subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,
    Linkedin is a great example of a social networking site that allows you to stay connected without creating a forum for sharing personal information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also feel we will always have a need for schools. All people do not learn the same and should not always be tested the same way. I tried to take a test on the computer and I failed the test. The next time I did paper and pencil and passed. I could not deal with the timer on the computer.

    ReplyDelete